Tim Pauli, this year’s Riverwalk organizer, had this to report on his exploration journey to the site of the 2018 Riverwalk!
Recently, three friends and I went hiking, following the Kamp River from Rosenburg to Krumau. We saw the hydroelectric power station in Rosenburg that EVN wants to expand. Further up river there were quite a few ups and downs:
- Down – next to the river we found traces of some beavers late night picnic – the sap was still coming from the trees.
- Up – we had a magnificent view of the Kamp valley: the meandering river and castles adorning the hills – inspiring one’s fantasy of ancient times.
On the second day after a refreshing swim in the Thurnberger Stausee the group divided. My friends headed back home, and I rushed along the trail to follow the Kamp from Krumau to Rastenfeld to catch a bus.
In the evening, I returned to Rosenburg and slept over in the woods.
The next morning, I took my bicycle, which I had left in Rosenburg on the first day and cycled down river. I crossed beautiful cultural landscapes, little villages, vineyards and more castles. Impressive!
In Hadersdorf am Kamp, I got on a train and returned to Vienna.
It was a beautiful trip – and gave me some good impressions of the area and even more motivation for continuing the planing process. It’s going to be a great trip!
River Walk 2018 – Exploring the Kamp surrounded by charming Waldviertler cultural landscape and occasionally tracks of wild nature 😉
– Happy trails,
The answer… YES!
Riverwalk 2018 is happening. But like every Riverwalk it will be unique!
This year’s Riverwalk will focus on 2 main things:
1) RIVERWALKING – just like every year, a small group of youth will walk along a river to explore and protect its beauty, uniqueness and high ecological value
2) PROTECTING EUROPEAN RIVERS – this year is VERY important because starting this summer the PUBLIC (in Europe) will have a chance to speak up for the “EU Water Framework Directive” – which protects our rivers, lakes, and drinking water! (more to come)
So, where will the Riverwalk 2018 take place?
- Kamp River in Lower Austria (about 1.5 hours from Vienna)
How long will it be?
When will it take place?
Who’s organizing it?
- A few veteran Generation Earth members (Tim Pauli and Nina Wagner + plus other experienced hikers) and a handful of other interested walkers! Want to help – let us know! (see below)
What’s the significance?
- This year we’re not just focusing on 1 river, but the health of ALL rivers in Europe. If the Water Framework Directive is weakend, then it means all European rivers and waters are threatened: that means drinking water too!
What can I do if I want to get involved, participate or help out?
- Planning team: please let Tim know! firstname.lastname@example.org
- Walkers: Soon, you’ll find a link on the website and FB to the application process!
- Political Action Team: Interested in helping with the political side of this year’s walk? Contact Lena: email@example.com
Stay tuned as we begin to ramp up our communication on this year’s Riverwalk and the efforts to protect the Water Framework Directive – and all European Rivers!
Here’s to Riverwalk 2018 – Let’s walk!